This page is a portal for further reading on the subject of mantra.
Visible Mantra Essays
- What is mantra? - an essay which explores the basics of what a Buddhist mantra is and importantly what it does.
- On the Etymology of the Word 'Mantra' - combining historical/scientific and traditional methods to draw out the meaning of the word, and in the process highlight more aspects of what a mantra is.
- Phonosemantics - an overview of a new way of thinking about the relationship between vocal sounds and 'meaning'.
Jayarava Rave Mantra Essays
The is a list of relevant essays on Jayarava's blog
- The Meaning of om manipadme hum
- The origins of om manipadme hum
- The Essence of all Mantras
- The Seed Syllable of Great Compassion
- Seed Syllable of Perfect Wisdom
- The Buddhist Wisdom Alphabet
- The Mystical ARAPACANA Alphabet
- Meditating on Arapacana
Other External Readings
- Akara : The Quest for Perfect Form is an interesting essay on the forms that letters have taken over time.